Sound familiar… you’re starting a steam game and you get the error “Failed to create OpenGL device! Please see the following for more info” and the game won’t start?
Hopefully I can help and tell you how I solved it.
- Start by clicking on the top left Apple icon and opening System Preferences.
- Click on the Displays icon to open display settings
- To fix the “Failed to create OpenGL device!” change the Resolution to scaled (if it isn’t already) and set it to 720p
- This should allow you to run the game
- Now edit the game and change your screen resolution back to how it was.
Magic! You Steam game will now start without the “Failed to create OpenGL device!” error!
NOTE: You don’t need to do this every time, the error should no longer appear after you follow this procedure.
I had this problem with portal 2 but I’m sure other Seam games like Left for Dead or even non valve games. Hopefully it fixes every time you get the ““Failed to create OpenGL device!” error.