- I had previously designed a campaign that gives away capsules to introduce people to "las cápsulas gratis".
- It was very successful, but I was not happy with some of the compromises that I was forced to make (because of Administrative concerns).
- So I reinvented it and re-pitched it, persuading other departments to agree on the necessary changes.
- I reduced the amount of capsules we gave away from fifty to twelve, but improved the perception of value in two ways:
- Not giving way as many capsules (which lowered the perception of value in the product)
- Improving the presentation of the products
- I designed a coffee capsule sample card explaining each variety of coffee and tea which improved the product image.
- The sample card lowered the unit cost of the alternative by almost fifty cents and also reduced shipping costs (a massive 3€ reduction per unit).
- This allowed me to change the landing page and instead of charging for shipping (one of the compromises I was forced to make) I included free shipping as part of the offer which drastically improved conversion rates.
- I also made SEO changes to the website to improve positioning.
- I implemented a new system to register customers for the offer, sync them with out online shop via a landing page of my design.
- I wrote SOP’s for administration to follow regarding processing the orders, implemented them on the intranet which I had built and trained the staff in using them.
How successful was the project?
When the system went live I was called into the administrative offices to take urgently action against a “virus” (I was told) which was “hacking our servers” and creating "fake orders". It turned out that this was the only conclusion Administration could come to when they discovered a 3,000 percent increase in orders for our already successful samples campaign. Actually, the orders were real.
I used the increase in quantities to re-negotiate prices for the products used in the campaign. The result was savings of saving several hundred euros a day and the a vast increase in new customer acquisition.
- I posted a job on an internet freelancer site to out-source the creation of a plugin into the website which would generate a .csv file to be used to mali merge and create address labels.
- I supervised the programming of the plugin but because I could see it taking too long, I wrote an sql query to run on the database to help the programmers understand and better comprehend our goals.
- Then I had the bright idea to impletement a plugin which executed the SQL and realised, that was all I needed. So I fired (nicely) the programmers and finished the job myself.
- To finish, I created SOP’s for executing the code by running the plugin and creating a mail merge with the resulting CSV file.
- This meant the 500 orders could be processed in matter of minutes, a saving of about 5 mins per order, or 41.66 hours per 500 orders. Considering the thousands of orders we are now receiving I saved the company the cost of more than one full time employee. Don’t worry, nobody is out of a job, in a company this size it just means that administration can better distribute their resources.